Monday, August 13, 2012

Bedroom Redo with Annie Sloan Paints

I was recently introduced to Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and I want to share my projects with other DIY home decor bloggers. My friend, Iris, introduced the paint idea to me. Her sister in London told her about it. We thought this was some new and exotic home decor idea! However, lo an behold there are two shops that stock the paint within 15 miles of our hometown.

This paint is amazing! No sanding or priming necessary. You are limited only by your imagination. There are a number or different colors from very pale and ethereal to bright saturated colors and many combinations by mixing the colors. After applying the paint, two coats for good coverage, you seal the piece with a special wax that is soft like butter and easy to apply. After the clear wax, a dark wax may be used for a distressed antiqued appearance. The paint is great to use on elaborate pieces with raised details that are highlighted by various techniques. Such as, dark wax in the crevices or the gilding waxes.

My first project was an ambitious one. Most sane people would start off with a small table. I decided to paint an entire bedroom set! The furniture was in good condition but old fashioned with a dark mahogany stain. The set included a ladies dresser with an ornate mirror, a high boy, and two night stands. This is the ladies dresser before painting. Please ignore the messy dresser top as we were in the process of painting other pieces!



As you can see it is good condition but a bit weary. I purchased this set for $300 at least 25 years ago. I would say that I got my money's worth! My husband was kind enough to do ALL of the painting. He is great! Also, very neat and methodical.  We used a 50/50 mix of Paris and Country Gray...like how I used the word "we". We finished it with first a clear wax and then the dark wax.  I used the Emperor Gold gilding wax around the mirror for a little glam. I finished the mirror last night but I haven't take a photo yet. Will do tonight!

Here are a couple of pictures of the completed pieces. I hope you like them. In person, they are beautiful. The color is difficult to describe. A blue grey with a hint of the dark wax.




I still have to paint the room. I'm having difficulty selecting a color. My initial thought was a very pale french country look. However, I'm afraid of the room looking washed out. So I'm leaning toward a neutral color with more depth. Any thoughts?

I also want an upholstered bed. I was hoping to find something old and paint and upholster myself...have fabric already. However, a queen size is more difficult to find in old pieces.

My next project is redoing my home office and getting rid of the target desk and danish bookcase (hmm...maybe Annie Sloan paint candidates) and replace with the secretary desk pictured below:


We (translate to hubby) started painting this piece yesterday using a 2 to 1 mixture of Coco and Country gray. My plan is to paint the back of the bookcase and the little drawers and slots (now shown) in Marie Antoinette pink with a Coco wash with dark wax finish. However, still experimenting with the design concept.

Btw, this is my first ever blog! So any ideas and suggestions to improve the appearance would be appreciated! Need to add a profile.

Love the following blogs: Maison Decor, Reloved Rubbish and Girl in Pink!

1 comment:

  1. I have a similar looking secretary that I would love to paint- was looking for inspiration and came across your post-would love the see a pic of your repainted secretary!

    ReplyDelete